Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Meet Cy Twombly

I consider myself to have an above-average interest in American postwar painting, but I didn't know much about the late Cy Twombly. Now, I want to. (This Recording/photo by Robert Rauschenberg)

I fantasize often about a young Robert Rauschenberg and Cy Twombly sitting street side at a cafe, having coffee on a warm Roman afternoon. It is easy to see them both there, well tanned and wearing summer shirts, casually discussing the merits of assemblage and found objects in sculpture. Two of America’s greatest painters vacationing in a city known both for being holy and pagan.

An artist friend of mine once told me that Twombly and Rauschenberg, at one point during their initial travels, began to argue over the fact that Twombly was spending all the grant money on artifacts. Twombly, like Van Gogh (who once said he’d rather buy a Japanese print than buy a weeks worth of bread), would forgo food and even financial security for art.



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar